Hello and welcome to our fixer upper. In this page you will find all the hard work we accomplished on the outside of our house since we moved in.
Here is a picture of the front of our home after all our hard work. We still have projects we would like to complete but this is where we are for now. In the future we hope to have a new front door and sidelights, corbels, painted retaining wall, and painted chimney.
Here are projects I have completed so far on the exterior of our home. Take a look!
January 21, 2014-
It was beautiful today so I decided to take down the glass screen door and repaint the front door and trim to freshen it up. Please ignore the hideous light above the door. I can’t wait to get that thing replaced with something from this century ha ha! We also had a chance to change the gold door handle and dead bolt to these gorgeous oil rubbed bronze ones from Kwikset. What do you think?
May 05, 2014-
Over the last few weeks I have been working really hard on our curb appeal. I have white washed our bricks, planted a lot of new flowers, painted our mailbox post and got a new mailbox, got landscaping stones and made a tree ring around the front yard tree and around our mailbox. We removed all of our shutters and are in the process of making our own wooden shutters… photos of the project coming soon… but for now take a look at what we have so far…
White washed brick with shutters removed.
Ring made around our tree in the front yard with pavers purchased from the Home Depot.
Mums planted in the tree ring as well as a lot of dirt and mulch added.
May 07, 2014-
Mailbox project started:
I first removed the old mailbox and painted the post bright white then went to our local Home Depot and purchased a new mailbox.
Here is a photo of the new mailbox and landscape. I later added numbers to the post in the same color as our front door and shutters.
Updated Photo: August 5, 2015-
June 12, 2014-
The beginning stages of our paver patio…
We first marked off the area we wanted the patio then began removing the sod.
Preparing the area by loosening the dirt and leveling the area.
Half way there…Notice the kiddie tools too! They love to help with my projects.
Here is where we are for now.. still have a few blocks to cut and hope to cut out the three bushes and build a pergola over the paver area. Love how this has turned out.
Updated Photos: August 5, 2015-
August 18, 2014-
We got a new light above the front door from Home Depot! I could not be happier with how great it looks, take a look!
August 21, 2014-
We are finally getting our shutter project done. What a difference these are making. We chose to make our shutters ourselves rather than purchasing them. We bought 21 1×4’s at Home Depot to create our shutters. We attached three 1×4’s together then placed two 1×4 horizontally and attached those. We love how this turned out. Take a look at the before and after.
September 21, 2014-
You may have also noticed that the windows look different. When we purchased the house the previous owner replaced all the windows in the house with new ones but they were replaced with boring ones. So I used my imagination and thought what about using tape to create a more appealing window. So I searched for what is popular in Craftsman style homes and I found in new construction they were using this style so I went with it and love how it has turned out. So far the tape has done wonderful and it has been on for one year now. Take a look at this creation.
The next project for the exterior is Corbels. I would like to place four of them on the front of the house. Two near the basement window and two around the garage doors. Then five on each end of the house I found a really nice tutorial online and plan to use that to make them. I really think this will help to transform our split level into more of a craftsman feel.
Here are the before photos…
Here is an updated photo of the front of the house with new perennials planted, new light fixture above the door, white washed brick, shutters painted and put up and front door painted… Only thing left at this time is two new light fixtures over the garage doors, corbels, and a new front door and sidelights.
September 09, 2014-
We replaced the roof on our exterior storage building. The roof was in need of repair because of a water leak around the skylight that was not installed correctly. With further examination of the roof we had to replace three of the rafters and four sheets of plywood on the roof to fully repair the roof. Here are photos from this project…
June 24, 2015-
We finally removed all the bushes around the exterior foundation. Here are some pictures of this process…
Hauling them all away…
July 27, 2015-
Completed our benches in our backyard so we can sit and watch the kids play. This was such an easy project and we had the cinderblocks already we just needed to purchase the landscaping timbers which were only $5.00 a piece. So all in all this project was very inexpensive and provides enough seating for company.